Sunday, November 23, 2008

Faced with Reality...

Moments like this make of realize that New Orleans is not recovering the way it was expected to... And now with the recession looming like the grim reaper ready to pounce... I am loosing hope for recovery in the city that I love. My family's roots are firmly planted here. Our family's tomb is in St. Louis #2... My Grandfather taught at Xavier... And my family tree is riddled with bits of city and community culture that bridges gaps of race, gender, class, and education. To see an Egret hanging outside on the front lawn of the house that my brother is working on just reminds me that we live in swamp land that Katrina reclaimed and there is some nameless monster storm in the future waiting for its opportunity to do the same. How many lives will it take? Who's sanity will it destroy? Who will invest in a city after another direct hit when mother nature demands that she wants it for her own...
I love my home... I don't want to leave... But as a mother, is it fair to put my kids through this? Is it any different from tornadoes, earthquakes, forest fires, blizzards, or any other natural disaster?...
It is simply a choice I don't want to make or even consider... I just panic at every storm that enters gulf and hold my breath till it is over... It feels like I have become an experienced victim of the abuse the storm brings and I have no choice but to take it. Maybe I should seek counseling on this one?

No comments: