Monday, November 24, 2008

Well, Back to my NaBloPoMo to do list...

I have some unanswered questions that I have been saving for times when pressed for stuff to write about, and this happens to be one of those times.... I have an appointment later today, so you can thank my buddy Dave for this one...

Can you describe the Positive impact of Role Playing Games...

Definitely.. I have had my share of Therapy... and lord knows I needed some in my day... between the grief and abuse counseling I endured learning to cope, Role Playing was a big part of that... and Role Playing is an effective coping mechanism for dealing with all kinds of issues from anxiety, stress, to social disorders and shyness.

Admittedly, I was VERY shy in high school. I went to an ultra private grammar school (6) kids in the 8Th grade and 13 kid in the whole school, so dealing with people had to be a learned skill for me. High School was very difficult for me and I associated with smaller groups and I was more comfortable with the "abnormal crowd" because I considered myself not normal. It wasn't until I discovered Rocky Horror that my life changed... I started with the audience participation and then began cast work eventually recruiting and directing a cast of my own... I eventually began entering the gaming crowd which was just like the acting of rocky horror... but it was improvisational... and more quick thinking on your feet... it was live action vampire... and we met once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a bar... and it was the best thrill of my life... for a few hours a day... I didn't have to be me... I could pretend I was some one else... different accent, try a different attitude, and test how people reacted to how this new person treated them... I could be a bitch, I could be condescending, I could be obnoxious, and they didn't yell at me... they didn't hit me... I could stand up for myself and be assertive and it was OK... I learned how to initiate conversations and make small talk... It was the best therapy in the world for a shy person... but as with all circles, it takes a person of strong will to stick to their moral codes to do what they know what is right... there are always the stories of people who take things too far... so if you have any psychosis... it is not recommended if you have difficulty distinguishing between reality and fantasy... but there are role playing games for all interests... medieval/fantasy, vampires, werewolves, star wars, star trek, cyberpunk, toons, James Bond, Superheros...

Despite their negative press... there are more benefits that therapists use in therapy.... how many times have you been asked.... if you were in a situation.... what would you do.... that my friend is role playing....

1 comment:

Brou HahHah said...

Well written. S'why I gave you the subject matter. :)